Consider that global travel revenue, which includes duty-free sales at airports, has more than tripledsince 2000, rising to $69 billion in 2017.
- The rise of budget and low-cost airlines
- Two billion travelers flew in 2002; four billion flew in 2017
- Travelers average 56 minutes of “free time” before their flights
- On average, 25 minutes of that time is spent shopping in duty-free stores [I find this hard to believe…how about you?]
- In the Asia-Pacific region, retails sales have averaged a 14% annual growth since 2002